This article covers all the necessary steps to access and manage files on Dropbox from inside Workspace. The guide assumes that you already have a Dropbox account.
In the app creation form:
- Select the "Scoped access" API.
- Choose the type of access you need.
- Specify a name for your app.
Create a Dropbox App
After the app is created, head over to the Permissions tab and select the correct access scopes for what you intend to do. For example, if you only want to use Workspace to programmatically read content from Dropbox,
files.content.readis enough. Make sure to click "Submit" in the footer to persist the changes.
Select access scopes for your dropbox app
Go back to the settings tab, and in the OAuth 2 section click "Generate" to generate an access token. Copy the access token to your clipboard.
Generate access token
- In the Workspace editor, open the 'Environment' side panel and click on "+" next to "Environment variables"
Valuepaste the access token that you copied to your clipboard in the previous step.
- Set the "Environment Variable Set Name" to something meaningful, e.g. "Dropbox Access Token"
- Click "Create", "Next" and finally, "Connect". Your workspace session will restart, and
DROPBOX_ACCESS_TOKENwill now be available as an environment variable in your workspace session.
Store access token as an environment variable in Workspace