To query an AWS Athena database from inside Workspace, the first step is creating an integration to connect to the database:
- Create a new integration from the Integrations tab on the dashboard (link) or by clicking onin the sidebar when editing a workspace.
- Select "Amazon Athena".
- Add the required values for Region, Output Bucket, Access Key ID, and Secret Key. For more information on how to configure AWS Athena and how to generate access keys, click here.
Create an Amazon Athena Integration
If you are on Workspace Basic, you have to update your IAM policy to allow incoming connections from all IP addresses.
If you are on the Workspace Premium or Workspace Teams plan, Workspace will access your database through static IP addresses. You need to whitelist these IP addresses in your IAM policy before you can query the database through Workspace.
After creating the integration, you can query the database with a SQL cell. When you're editing a workspace:
- Click "Add SQL cell" at the bottom of the notebook (or on "Add SQL cell" when hovering on the area in between two cells).
- Select the integration that accesses the database you want to query.
- (Optional) Update the variable name of the data frame that will hold the result of your SQL query by updating the field behind "Available as". If you don't set this, the query result will be available as a data frame called
- Write the SQL query.
- Click "Run" in the cell menu (or use the shortcuts).
Example of a running a query against the
MyAthenaintegration. The query result is available as